Sunday, October 17, 2010

Church Adventure

So today I visited Lebensquelle Gemeinde for church (Spring of Life Congregation roughly translated). When I arrived the worship team was very green. Fortunately they were just doing a light check and fixed it before the service. The gentleman who opened the service was translated into German. But with the chaos of people finding seats and such I couldn’t tell much more than that.


For worship, I knew some of the songs and some of them not. Most were in German but some were in Russian. As a note, Russian doesn’t use our alphabet so I couldn’t read it but the German translation was below. They did, “Here I am to Worship” in German, as well as “Dancing Generation”, and “Hosanna” by Hillsong in Russian (all very well done I might add).


So it turns out that 80% of the church is Russian, so the translation was for the small number of us outsiders... The craziness of Russian and German together when I hardly speak German was a little more than I could follow, so I’ll probably look for another place next week. I had asked someone to recommend a very charismatic church to me and that’s what I got. It was definitely a really cool one time experience, it just won’t be home.


2 comments:

alene said...

I'm looking forward to hearing more of your church adventures. This is something I didn't get to experience while in Europe.

Erik said...

A mass in Russian translated to German. Sounds like fun! Its nice to meet people from others cultures with the same belief. Of course its hard to chat with them after mass. But the useful thing is the mass is usually the same english, german, latin, russian. Its always the same bible texts/consecration words. Its a nice comfort when you visit a city that is so different.

erik