Sunday, July 25, 2010

Board building days 7&8

Here comes the top of the board! I'm saying days 7&8 because I'm not really documenting the days of... polyurethane in the morning, flip board, more in afternoon, flip, again before bed, again morning.... that I've been doing all week. I've built up a super thick layer on the bottom and sides, and some on top as well. Finally a 3 foot roll of grip tape came in. It's like a big sand paper sticker, so I drew the pattern on the backing and cut it out with an exacto knife, peeled off the backing and stuck it on.
I then rough cut the main piece and taped it in place. I removed small pieces of backing at a time to make sure it stayed placed well since it's super sticky.
Then I used a rasp to begin grinding the edges. You can see the shape of the board begin to appear.
Then I cleaned it up with the exacto knife.
Now I'm just putting more polyurethane (I'm sick of that stuff) on the exposed wood which will help keep the edges of the tape from peeling up as well. Hopefully it's done tonight! I plan to do a photo shoot with it at some point with some of my Argentina paraphernalia that inspired it. Maybe some mad photoshopping when I get around to it.

later,

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I was scared for half a second that you covered the beautiful inlay with nasty grip tape. Then I realized that the inlay is on the bottom. Phew!