Saturday, July 10, 2010

Board Building day 2

So after cutting a paper guide in the shape of the board, I traced it onto the wood and cut it out with a jigsaw. It looks like I did it in a dump but that's our driveway and we're having construction done so it's kind of a wreck.
Here's the corner of it. you can see how nicely those layers glued together leaving only one board where there was 4 before.
After sanding the edges I used a chisel to cut out the shape of the trucks, just deep enough so they will sit in the board instead of on top of it. I chisels the one side too far so had to glue some scrap wood in to fill... but there will be grip tape on top so the cosmetic blunder won't be visible.
I put in the screw holes and the a big hole in the middle to put the jigsaw in as a prepare to cut out the traced section below.
And there we have it. It's hard to make the cuts smooth... oh well.
Here it is assembled and ready to test run. Turns out when I turn, the wheel bites into the wood so I had to do some more cutting but now we're good. This whole process went twice as fast as with my last board. I reckon I'll do more today and tomorrow so we should have more posts up pretty quick.

No comments: