Thursday, July 8, 2010

Board Building day 1

So my wood got here and I started right to work building a killer longboard. It was a slice of black walnut, a slice of cherry and 3 pieces of 1/8 x 24 x 30 baltic birch plywood, three layer's thick. usually a layer is 1/8 but these layers are 1/24th! As you can see I cut them into strips of 11 x 30 and glued them together with titebond III. I put weights on it to bend the board. When the glue dried the bend (camber) remains. Only the wood was super strong so even though I did two layers at a time and put 75 pounds on the middle it still hardly bent. That means I will in no way be able to snap this board once I have all four layers together (see tomorrows blog entry). I also began using a razor blade to cut the walnut. It will be used for inlays later. I'll talk about that another time.





1 comment:

Prisca Berea said...

wowo
I'm really excited to see this.
and I'm glad you are making it stronger this time.