Sunday, January 22, 2012

Endlich ein Fahrrad

So I finally got a hold of a free bike.  My landlord has 7-10 bikes in various states of disrepair lying around, so he said if I could fix one and return it at years end then I could use it.  Most were ugly except this one.  It is a ten speed roadbike, much like the one stolen from my back at Uni.  I need to unrust the chain, change a few break pads, and a break cable before it is operational.  I love it.  I think I'll be even more attached to it after I work on it.  Oh, and I need to replace the bell.  Since bikes are used so commonly for regular commuting, having a bell and mud guards are standard.  I'm thinking of replacing the bell with a big horn.  I think that would be marvelous, if it can stand the rain.  The generator for the lights needs to be adjusted too.  In Germany, it is the law that your bike have lights if you are riding after dark.  They are basically just as strict with bikes as with cars since they are used so much.  That also means biking with too high of a blood alcohol level is punishable.  I think people mostly ignore that one though.
Under Construction!


See the little silver barrel next to the wheel.  That is the generator for the lights.

No comments: