Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Theology (that could change your life)

I'll start by addressing those of you that haven't been raised in the church. You probably have seen some video of Christians speaking "in tongues," or barking, or prophesying, or falling down. Those things probably make you uncomfortable. Well here's the thing, I'm uncomfortable too. Unfortunately we can't judge the reality of something based on how comfortable it makes us feel. I can't say that because it's weird and scares me it's fake, and likewise I can't say it makes me uncomfortable so it's probably really God. Instead we must look at the Bible for insight. Some things it talks about directly and other things me may have to infer from God's character. The interpretations are numerous in the church and it turns out here in Germany it is no different.

So the question of the week (or maybe longer) is what does the Holy Spirit look like in our lives? or really how should he look in our lives. The Holy Spirit is God with us, in our hearts and minds, giving direction and teaching us to have the greatest effect for God's kingdom. That includes a handful of gifts to which he gives us access which talked about in numerous places in the New Testament. 1 Corinthians 12 is a good example. It talks about healing, tongues, prophesy, wisdom etc. People will argue that that was only for the early church but I think the main reason that is argued is not because of the scriptural evidence (though you can find verses that hint mildly in that direction) but more because of how uncomfortable the idea is. I've looked for the proof because indeed I think I would like that too but I can't say with a good conscience that I've found it.

The real issue I come to is, how Biblical is it to be slain in the spirit, bark, or have seizures because of the Holy Spirit's power on you. I haven't particularly run into any verses that say strongly either way, though the lack of it's mention is suspicious. Then again the Bible always leaves space for faith, not giving every single detail. I also don't want to condemn something and then find out later that indeed it was the Holy Spirit that was responsible for it. There are so many people I respect on either side of the issue making it rather more difficult. I don't know what's right and what's wrong and I don't want to just pick a position arbitrarily. It's frustrating and has my mind spinning. The only conclusion I've yet come to is that it is imperative that we know the scriptures well. I have a lot of learning to do.

Feel free to chime in with verses or perspectives to think about. I need to find some Truth.

2 comments:

Erik said...

1 Cor 12 is good, but as it states in 1 Cor 13 love is more important. Take care of love than start with 1Cor 12. But I would say it is powerful because of the ability to do Gods work even further. To heal sickness, to speak their hearts, to praise the lord god, to understand the future. All of this comes through the holy spirit. It is a step that you should take. I would recommend a course, where the participants pray on the topics and over a series of weeks learn to understand the issue and understand its role in their lives.
Erik

fendeilagh said...

I do not know what gifts the Holy Spirit gives or does not give these days. I always found the most peace about it from the next chapter: 1 Corinthians 14. It speaks about how to deal with speaking in tongues and prophesy in a corporate worship gathering.

Of particular note, Paul does say he wants everyone to speak in tongues. It is a good thing and everyone should want/do it. However, he says to hold your tongue in a meeting unless there is an interpreter. All my experiences in churches that practice speaking in tongues did not have an interpreter. This may not be wrong if because of the culture of that church speaking in tongues builds up the body, but Paul is arguing that prophesy and speaking in intelligible language is better for building up the church.

I often pray seeming gibberish to God when I cannot form words to express things, I do not know if that is tongues, but I do not pray that way in public since it does nothing to build up others.

1 Corinthians 14:12 "So with yourselves, since you are eager for manifestations of the Spirit, strive to excel in building up the church."