Saturday, November 13, 2010

HodgePodge

Nothing in particular inspiring this post but I need to write again. The weather was actually fairly terrific yesterday. It only rained before I woke up and then again in the evening when I was mostly indoors. In between I saw the first dry roads this week and got to use my longboard.

My money transfer from the States finally came through after 5 weeks of being ridiculously frugal. I suppose that was good practice and will help my money last, though I immediately bought a scarf. Amazingly, it's predominately dark green with strong accents that allow it to work with clothes that are both in the gray/black/white family and things that are shades of brown. Usually that color combinations is contradictory because everyone knows that black and brown don't usually work together (or gray and brown, note that this website is on the brown side so there are no blacks). Most of my wardrobe can be broken into those two categories and the items that can go cross-category are particularly valuable. I mostly only packed brown though because I only had room to bring brown shoes.

And speaking of brown shoes, I set my scarf on my brown leather boat shoes that I wear everywhere and someone commented that it would smell like feet. Well, it didn't. Then I decided to smell the shoes. After the use those have gotten they deserve to smell, and they did, but they only smelled of leather (and I love that smell). No feet smell at all. Note that well, alway take the chance to have leather shoes.

Last week I found my home church for my time here. It's called FIT Gemeinde. Its a group of perhaps 20 people which is much smaller than other things I've seen but I think since I have 4 more months it will let me connect quicker and deeper. One of the things I didn't really expect to find in Europe, just from what I had heard, was the Holy Spirit and I figured I would miss him while I was gone. That was one of my main concerns for if I were to ever live here long term in the future. He is definitely here though so no worries. I guess it's like Elijah when he thought he was all alone and God's like "hey now, there's 7,000 other people following hard after me, not just you. I can draw people to myself. There's no place that is above me." I guess I should expect that God is awesome enough to make awesome believers all over the world in every culture. That said, there falls another barrier keeping me from living in Europe. Maybe I should make a list of barriers to help me better look at my time here.

Lastly, a family in the church invited me to Christmas and New Years with them so that will be enjoyable. I hear that in Germany they really celebrate Christmas, but very differently than we do. Lot's of Christmas markets to go to in every city. I'll write more about it as we get there.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful - a very "up" post. Not only have you found a church that knows God, but your money came, two things that can leave one feeling unsettled when lacking. Then the perks of using your longboard and finding a scarf. God bless you, Sweetheart.

Tim Ipsaro said...

I caught up on what you have been up to. Sounds like God is really using you in an awesome way, that being one of few Christians in the area that is under the age of 65.

Thats great that you found a church though. I'll be praying for you and your friends.

Also something that struck me as pretty neat that you might also like:

In my bible there was this commentary and it said: A man from a church asked a younger girl why they called the bible "The Word" and she responded. "Because that's the only word God intended us to say."

God Bless
Tim