Thursday, August 12, 2010

¿What's Your Favorite Kind of Music?

So I'm not usually good at questions about favorites with very few exceptions (favorite color? - Green). Anyways, for how much I like music, I realized how poorly I can categorize what I like.

For a while I thought I liked music that I would love to be able to play (I like a lot of acoustic guitar music), but then I realized it's the other way around. I love to learn to play music that I appreciate, so I'm back to starts on what I like.

So I realized as to style it's this. I love when music could be played by one person in a field, or a group of friends sitting around a fire. Maybe the album adds more but the essence of the song can be fully captured in that simple arrangement and setting, because that perfect screaming guitar solo, or that blazing kick drum doesn't really make a song good, they are just signs of gifted musicians, not gifted artists. The appreciation of the simple is in large because what I appreciate in content.

In the content there has to be something about the song that catches my attention. The words should have a real connection to the ponderings of the artist. Ideally it's either something I've been thinking about, or it challenges me to think about.
Secondly, I like when songs paint a picture and use the music and the lyrics together to make you feel just what it's showing you.

Look at these lyrics in Cannons by Phil Wickham:

The chorus goes like this:

Singing you are holy, great and mighty,
the moon and the starts declare who you are.
I'm so unworthy, but still you love me,
Forever my heart will sing of how great you are.

Definitely true and good, but also very cliché. Ordinarily this would bore me (unless God had just been speaking to me about my unworthiness or something of the like, suddenly making the song personal). What Phil does though that makes me appreciate the song is he paints a picture through the verse that leads into the chorus and makes it many times more powerful. Here it is:
(verse 2, though verse 1 is good too)
Beautiful and free, the song of galaxies,
Reaching far beyond the Milky Way.
Let's join in with the sound,
Come on, Let's sing it out,
As the music of the universe plays

and then continue up to the chorus.
...Find the song here.
That's cool, thats what I like. It's so much bigger. I can visualize a symphonic roar filling the galaxy, all excited about God. The illustration is verse 1 is beautiful as well. There are so many songs especially on Christian radio in particular that speak vague truth in a vague impersonal way. It's like they thought of a tune they liked and had to fill it with some words. Art shouldn't be about being catchy, it's about expressing.

Now I just need to find more music that fits. Feel free to recommend. I'm bad at searching out music. (and these posts are getting long)


No comments: