Friday, March 30, 2012

Run FAAS

So almost a week ago now it was race time.  I had been injured for about a month before I could finally start logging kilometers again (logging miles is a thing of the past). A 3km, 2km, 5km, and 7km run got me up to speed for race day.  Two friends from work, Karen and Jordan, ran along with me as team PUMA.  There were a good 433 runners in the race and Karen and I got stuck starting near the back.  We spent the first 4km just trying to find gaps in the crowd to squeeze forwards.  It was okay though since our main goal was to finish without pulling any muscles.  Jordan started at the front and stayed there finishing in 2nd place with a time of 33:41 (a 5:23 mile pace), over a minute behind first place but more than a minute ahead of third place.  My first 6km were pain free so I took off and cut a minute off of my pace for each kilometer after that and came in a respectable 48:31 (originally paced for 52:00).  Rank? 146.  Better luck next time.  On a side note, both 2nd and 3rd place (as well as place 146 and 210) were all rocking really awesome PUMA FAAS Running shoes.  I think it is safe to say the shoes cut a full minute from our times.  Not really fair for the competition.  Anyway, lots of fun, a beautiful day, and looking forward to my next race, a half marathon in May.
"Wow that number is wrinkly!" you say?  A friend of mine from RIT, Zach, taught me to wrinkle up my number so it isn't so stiff and uncomfortable.  Did make it rather difficult for them to scan my barcode at the finish though... oops!

No comments: